As the border crisis continues to escalate, we have received messages from individuals asking “What can I do?” We are deeply grateful for this outpouring of compassion.
Here are 5 ways individuals, congregations, and communities can support those seeking refuge.
- Learn about the humanitarian crisis faced by children and families. LIRS offers resources such as backgrounders on unaccompanied children and the exodus of families, and statements on key advocacy issues.
- Misinformation is a major obstacle to providing support and protection to unaccompanied children. Dispel dangerous myths by educating others on the realities of this crisis.
- Encourage your family, congregation, and community to lift up these children and their families in prayer. Designate a specific day or week of prayer, like the Interfaith Weekend of Compassion and Prayer for Unaccompanied Migrant Children this weekend.
- Write to your Representative or Senators through our Action Center. Using the Neighbor to Neighbor Visit guide, meet with them or their local staff to urge them to champion policies that protect children and families.
- Contact your Representative and Senators by calling the Capitol Switchboard at (202) 224-3121. Tell them:
As your constituent in [city, state], I care about refugees, unaccompanied children, and other vulnerable populations.
I urge you to support the $1.83 billion increase for the Office of Refugee Resettlement, requested in the President’s Emergency Supplemental Appropriations Request for Fiscal Year 2014. The United States must show leadership by protecting unaccompanied children while maintaining our commitment to refugee resettlement.
I am deeply opposed to incarcerating children and families who have arrived at our borders seeking refuge and to any reduction to the protections these vulnerable people deserve and are guaranteed under U.S. law.
- Participate in the #ActofLove campaign.
- Detention centers are no place for families. We seek your help in creating “Houses of Welcome” across the country. If you, your congregation, or your network have access to a residence or can support the efforts of others, join us in action! Read this backgrounder for more information.
- Give the gift of family and become a foster parent, or promote foster parenting in your church or community.
- Share your story! Tell us about how your community welcomes those seeking refuge.
- Support the work of LIRS as we protect and advocate for vulnerable children and families.
Thank you for your support and compassion! Together, much can be accomplished for those seeking to rebuild their lives. For more information, contact Folabi Olagbaju, National Grassroots Director, at email@example.com, or Matt Herzberg, Manager for Congregational Outreach, at firstname.lastname@example.org.