The world continues to change all around us. Each and every day we are presented with opportunities to connect with the struggles of others in our communities, our country, and across the globe.
As we start this New Year, your action is needed to provide hope to someone in need. Consider these five simple ways you can support refugee and migrant families and the work of Lutheran Immigration and Refugee Service (LIRS) throughout 2017.
1. Become an Advocate: The support of local groups and individual advocates adds strength to our voice on Capitol Hill – and we need you this year more than ever! Sign up to receive Stand for Welcome action alerts today.
2. Pledge Your Support Monthly: Your donations make all of our work possible. This year, as we adjust to a changing political landscape, LIRS needs your support more than ever. Consider making a modest monthly gift to sustain our work today and in the future.
3. Mobilize your Community: Your church can play a vital role in empowering refugee and migrant families in your community. LIRS launched the Refugee Sunday initiative to educate and engage communities of faith in this important work. Start planning your congregation’s Refugee Sunday today!
4. Volunteer with an LIRS Affiliate: LIRS works with affiliate organizations across the country to settle refugees and migrants into new communities – and now, you can too! Sign up to volunteer, and we’ll help you connect with a nearby partner agency.
5. Visit Someone in Detention: As a result of stringent border policies, thousands of Latin Americans seeking refuge in our country have instead been met with imprisonment. Provide a detainee with the dignity of human connection and hope by getting involved with detention visitation ministry.
Wishing you a happy New Year from all of us at LIRS!