LIRS Foster Care
At LIRS, we believe every child—regardless of race, religion, or country of origin—deserves a safe and loving home.
We invite you to partner with us in providing a safe home where children can rise above the obstacles they faced in their home country, or on their journey to the U.S., and grow into healthy adults. Each refugee or immigrant child has a different story. The love and support you can provide them will change both of your lives forever.
We have a network of dedicated service partners across the country with specialized foster care programs, but foster families are urgently needed and always in demand.
WHAT DOES IT TAKE TO BECOME A FOSTER PARENT?
- Passion to protect and invest in a child’s future and create a new family together.
- Time to spend with the child daily, time to take the child to medical, counseling and other appointments, time to meet with and learn from foster program staff.
- Openness to learn about your child’s experiences and cultural background and a willingness to open your heart and home.
- Learn about becoming a foster parent for immigrant and refugee children. Connect with an LIRS partner site for more information.
- Become a licensed foster parent. The application process typically includes background checks, interviews with family, and a home study assessment.
- Get trained. Foster parent training typically consists of 6-8 sessions plus specialized sessions on fostering immigrant and refugee youth.