LIRS is concerned that legislative efforts to increase immigration enforcement, such as a border wall, an increase in agents, and an end to family migration only seeks to threaten family unity, community stability, and strips away protections for vulnerable newcomers.
Reforming only select areas of our complex system does not reflect the needs of the country, nor does it uphold the dignity of migrants and refugees seeking safety, family reunification, or the opportunity to contribute to the United States.
LIRS continues to advocate for the welcome, protection and care of our migrant brothers and sisters through compassionate immigration reform.
Resources and Reports
- Be Not Afraid – Resources for Congregations and Immigrant Families Fractured by Fear
- 2017: Betraying Family Values: How Immigration Policy at the United States Border is Separating Families
- 2015: LIRS Backgrounder on Family Detention
- 2015: LIRS Backgrounder on Alternatives to Immigration Detention
- 2014: Locking Up Family Values, Again: The Continued Failure of Immigration Family Detention