Many of my Top Picks for this week are in response to the House Judiciary Committee’s emotional first hearing on immigration. I’d especially like to lift up Laura Vasquez’s commentary on family unity, and Seth Freed Wessler’s piece on detention and immigration reform.
- Pili Tobar of America’s Voice, in her piece “Immigrant, Asian and Latino Leaders React to House Immigration Hearing, Say Time for Citizenship Is Now,” finds a resounding call to action in activists’ response to the House hearing.
- Laura Lichter of the American Immigration Lawyers Association recognizes the need for “tough, but fair” immigration reform in her commentary, “The Time is Now for Immigration Reform.”
- In her post for the National Council of La Raza, “Family Unity Must be Part of the Immigration Debate,” Laura Vasquez calls for reform with family unity as a top priority.
- Writing for Immigration Impact, Seth Garfinkel uncovers how an employee rewards program is “Incentivizing Arrests for Border Patrol Agents.”
- In his post for Colorlines, “How Immigration Reform Could Expand Incarceration of Immigrants,” Seth Freed Wessler expresses concerns that heightened enforcement packaged with comprehensive reform could lead to even more racial profiling and unnecessary detention.
Please email me or leave a comment if you have any suggestions or thoughts on this week’s Top Picks. Thank you for taking the time to visit our blog today, and I look forward to bringing you the best online commentary on immigration and refugee issues every Monday .