New! Seasonal Resources available for free download:
Celebrate Welcome with Us!
Today, for the first time since World War II, there are more than 60 million people around the world who have been forced to flee their homes due to war, violence, and persecution. Yet Lutherans are not discouraged.
We continue to meet refugees and those displaced by violence with God’s love.
Whether your congregation is new to assisting refugees, has a history of newcomer ministry, or you are newcomers yourselves, you can observe Refugee Sunday and create a meaningful experience with LIRS’s Refugee Sunday worship ideas and Stand for Welcome newsletter.
Resource Library Downloads
LIRS has just added new 2018 Refugee Sunday resources! Check out our opening cover letters, sermon notes, litany, and an exciting packet of learning materials that includes information for both adult and youth forums, recipes, and more.
- Opening Cover Letter: ELCA | LCMS
- ELCA Sermon Notes: Luke 10 | Ruth 1:11-21
- LCMS Sermon Notes: Luke 2:41-52 | Genesis 43:26-34
- Seasonal Resources: Prayers for Advent | Advent Devotionals | Prayers for the Christmas Season | Epiphany Lessons & Carols | Prayers for the Time after Epiphany | Prayers for the Season of Lent | 40 Days of Lent
- Year-round Prayer Ideas: Litany | Intercessory Prayers
- Resources: Forums & Learning Materials | Quiz | Simulation Game
- Advocacy Tools: What Can I Do? | Petition | Letter on Child Welfare
- Stories: Claudette | Joseph | Kuoth | Selena
LIRS invites your congregation, your school, and your community to join us in prayer for refugees’ safety, care, and dignity. Having full faith in the power of God’s love to transform the lives of those fleeing horrifying danger, we ask God to provide protection and comfort to refugees on their journey, to strengthen them with hope for the future, and to use us, His children, to extend His love to refugees in our communities.
Your prayer may be included in LIRS materials. Additional resources include a Litany and Sermon Notes.
YES! My church wants to celebrate Refugee Sunday.
Please send me a free poster to get started today!
Steps to host a Refugee Sunday:
1. Select a date
2. Form a committee and give assignments
3. Invite a former refugee or migrant from the LIRS Speakers’ Bureau to share his/her story with the congregation
4. Review videos on LIRS site and select one to show
5. Plan a potluck or light brunch
6. Make sure you have met your goal for hosting a Refugee Sunday
LIRS invites you to walk alongside migrants and refugees on a courageous journey to rebuild their lives in this land of freedom. By giving to LIRS, you can help a refugee father find a job and learn English, or provide a mother and child seeking asylum with a clean, safe place to sleep. Challenge your congregation to make a commitment to refugee ministry by taking an offering or making a prayerful gift to LIRS for Refugee Sunday.