We recently wrote about how the Subcommittee on Immigration and Border Security of the House of Representative’s Judiciary Committee was preparing to debate four pieces of legislation that would strip protections for migrant children traveling alone, harm vulnerable newcomers and the communities that welcome them, and create unnecessary barriers for people seeking asylum. Today and tomorrow, this Subcommittee will take the next step towards passing these bills.
The four bills the Subcommittee will consider are:
- The “Michael Davis Jr., in Honor of State and Local Law Enforcement Act” (H.R. 1148)
- Previously known as the “Strengthen and Fortify Enforcement” (SAFE) Act
- The “Asylum Reform and Border Protection Act” (H.R. 1153)
- The “Protection of Children Act” (H.R. 1149)
- The “Legal Workforce Act” (E-Verify) (H.R. 1147)
This is not the first time we have seen these legislative ideas, many of which are mean-spirited and unwelcoming, as similar bills were also introduced in the last session. Rather than spend time and energy on these bills, we believe Congress should work to enact legislation that keeps families together, protects children, migrants, refugees, and other vulnerable persons.
Please join us in telling Congress that the faith community stands together to oppose these bills in any form. We invite you to add your voice today:
- Call your Representative at 202-224-3121.
- Here’s a sample of what to say:
I’m from (city, state, congregation/community) and as a person of faith, I urge Rep. [NAME] to oppose any proposal that strips protections for migrant children fleeing violence, creates barriers for asylum seekers, or expands the use of immigration detention. Please oppose such proposals including the Michael Davis Jr., in Honor of State and Local Law Enforcement Act, the Asylum Reform and Border Protection Act, and the Protection of Children Act. I urge Rep. [NAME] to instead support legislation that protects vulnerable migrants and refugees seeking protection in the U.S.
- Tweet your Representative. Find your Representative’s Twitter handle here.
@(your representative) As a person of faith from (your district/city) please oppose H.R. 1148, 1149, 1153. Protect migrant kids & asylum seekers!
- Take action through LIRS’s Action Center to send a message to members of the House Judiciary Committee urging them to stand with people of faith in opposing legislation that harms vulnerable migrants who seek safety.
Thank you for letting Congress know that people of faith believe migrants and refugees should be welcomed not endangered.
Stay tuned for further updates and as always, thank you for standing for welcome.
Photo credit: Pascual De Ruvo